Thursday, November 29, 2012

Meet Lauren the designer of Mitsymoto Designs

One of the most rewarding parts of owning your own boutique is meeting talented designers and being able to offer them a platform to sell their designs. Recently I met Lauren the talented designer behind the line Mitsymoto Designs.  She had a pop up shop at The OC Mix next to my boutique.  I feel in love with her and even more so her designs.  Her space looked incredible.  Her and her boyfriend made every display piece by hand. As I walked through the space I noticed that there were several pieces I was immediately drawn too.  Especially her stackable cross rings in sterling silver and rose gold.  After getting to know Lauren I knew that she was definitely someone that I wanted to work with.  She has the sweetest spirit and is full of enthusiasm. You can just tell she is one of the those designers who is destined for greatness and I am thrilled to be one of the first few stores to carry her line!  Stop by the boutique to check out her collection or to see more of her designs visit her Facebook


Sterling Silver & 14k Rose Gold Fill Rings $45


To find out more about Lauren and how she got her start in the jewelry business check out the interview we had last week:)  

How did you get started in the jewelry business?
Growing up I did a lot of wire wrapping and pearl stranding. I guess I became interested in making jewelry from my Aunt, Diane. When I was in first or second grade I started making and selling jewelry in my Aunt's floral shop in Downtown Los Angeles. I would make jewelry for all my friends and family for Christmas and birthdays. Finally, in college I decided to major in Fine Art Sculpture with an emphasis in Small Metal Arts and Jewelry. While in school in San Francisco I had an opportunity to intern and learn from a lot of fellow metal smiths. Working with so many artists and small business owners gave me a sense of how to go about starting a business of my own. Now I'm about a semester away from finishing school and am so excited to have the opportunity to have a small business of my own!

Was it something you always wanted to do?
Working for myself is always something that I've wanted to do, having a business has always seemed so exciting. It's so out of the ordinary from what my family members are doing but I thoroughly enjoy waking up every morning and having the opportunity to create something new. 

Do you have a favorite metal that you prefer to work with?
Bronze

How would you describe your design process?  
I love working in my materials, whether it's metal or mixed media. I don't really like to sketch or plan, I prefer to just go for it and see what I can create and allow my materials to dictate my limitations. Also, working with recycled materials and found objects is something that I love to do in both my jewelry and sculpture. 

What is your favorite item in your closet?
My "boyfriend" jeans. If I could get away with wearing my paint stained, ripped, baggy boyfriend jeans everyday I definitely would.

How would you describe your personal style?
Eclectic? I always like to incorporate something a little funky and be a bit offbeat whenever I can. 

Where do you see yourself/business in 2 years?
I would really love to be carried in my favorite jewelry gallery, Velvet da Vinci in San Francisco and have a little brick and mortar in Boston or New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment