Thursday, March 7, 2013

Common misconceptions about cooking

One of the common misconceptions about cooking is that you need a lot of extra time to make something nice.  I hear this all the time from friends and clients.  They hate cooking because they find it too time consuming.  I am here to break you of this type of thinking.  You must not let the kitchen intimidate you an longer.

For starters maybe turn on some good music, poor yourself a glass of wine or sparkling water and allow yourself to create.  I am not one to follow recipes EVER.  In life in general I like to dance to my own tune.  Since I know a lot of you really like the structure and ease of following a recipe I have added this new section on my blog to help inspire you and your journey in the kitchen:)   Here you will find tons of quick and easy recipes that from start to finish never take more than 40 minutes total.

Roasted Lemon Tilapia with zuchini and mushrooms 
Preparation: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes

1 cup of Trader Joes quinoa
1 1/2  Zucchini's 
2 cups of mushrooms 
2 fillets of fish- in this one I used Tilapia, but you could do this with salmon or mahi 
1 lemon
California Citrus Rub from Savory Spice Shop

Note: If you aren't a fan of quinoa you can substitute cous cous. It has a lot more natural flavor than  Quinoa. I like to change it up every once and in awhile.  

Fish:
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
-Put fish on baking pan - I like to cover my baking pan with foil for easy clean up
-cut lemon in half - squeeze half lemon on each fillet 
-sprinkle each fillet with California citrus rub on both sides 
-Cook in oven for 10 minutes- after 5 minutes take out and flip over to other side 

Veggies:
In large saucepan 1 tablespoon of Coconut oil or olive oil 
I like to cook my veggies in coconut oil but you can certainly use olive oil if you don't have coconut oil. 
-Slice zucchini into thin pieces
-Mix zucchini and mushrooms into sauce pan 
-sprinkle with garlic powder, and pepper
-Sauté until cooked- I like mine to be soft but not mushy 

Quinoa:
-For every cup of quinoa use 1.5 cups water i-Cover when boiling and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the seeds turn fluffy. The cooked germ looks like a tiny curl.-Let stand for about 3 minutes to become fully fluffy

Happy Cooking!
xoxo,
Bri







No comments:

Post a Comment